It's rare for me to do two posts in a day. But I was talking to Mom the other day and she was going to the cemetary with the family to put flowers on the graves of our ancestors. We used to do that every year when we were kids. One year, we'd do my Mom's side of the family, next year we'd do my Dad's. I remember as a kid being so bored, listening to all the stories the older generation would tell about those who had died. I didn't understand how these people were related to me. We'd go from cemetary to cemetary in the heat and my grandparents always found people to talk and talk and talk to. I wish I hadn't been so impatient. Now that I live 2,000 miles from my family I wish I could go to the cemetaries, see the names, and remember those who went before and hear the interesting things about their lives.
Instead, today I wanted to post about someone I honor on Memorial Day who is still alive:
This is my grandpa. He served our country in World War II. For that and many other things, I honor him. He doesn't talk about the war much. Doesn't like to remember those things. I have some histories he has written of things he experienced and I'm amazed. As a 19-year-old he saw and experienced enough and more for a lifetime in his 2 years of military service.
He says "These two years were tough and ugly to say the least. I've reflected on the atrocities of war--no food, no shelter, destruction and death everywhere, included my witnessing the death of some of my dear friends and the tender memories I had of home and family. How could life ever be normal again? Though I walked 'through the valley of the shadow of death', I feared no evil, for the Lord was with me. I felt his presence in times of need." "I would not take a million dollars for the experiences and growth of these two war years, but I'd not give a nickel to repeat any of it. We have been referred to as 'The Greatest Generation'. After all, we were just doing our duty."
I'm grateful the Lord watched over him, because through him came 8 children and many, many grandchildren and great grandchildren to whom he is a hero and an inspiration.
I hope with all the picnics and fun on memorial day that you take a little time out to think of the members of your family (and I have many, many more!) who have inspired and helped you to become who you are.
Remember.

2 comments:
Inspiring post! We have such a great heritage!! Miss you--Jen
Great post, Becky. So powerful.
Post a Comment